Posts tagged ‘PROGRESSIVE AFRICA’
The theme is derived from the current Pan African, and increasingly global, discourse that Africa’s economic growth and development is booming and happening right NOW… Popular phrases heard nowadays are: “Africa Is The Future” and “Africa Rising”.
The Kampala Art Biennale 2014 seeks to join this discussion with its theme PROGRESSIVE AFRICA. It is calling on African painters, photographers, illustrators, cartoonists, writers and 2D media artists to present their perception of the current status of Africa.
We believe that the resulting juried works will create a political and social debate in the fields of art, gender, human rights, cultural practice and technology.
Selected work will be shipped from the artist’s country to Kampala and shown in August 2014 at one of the Biennale venues in Kampala. Works will be shipped and returned after the month long exhibition at the expense of the Biennale organisation. The artist has the option to sell the work at the Biennale.
Deadline for entries is March 31st 2014. Application is free of charge. Artists will not receive payment. Copyright of the submitted works remains the artist’s.
An independent jury (curator group) will consider all applications and compile a selection of the final 100 works, which will be announced on April 7th 2014.
Requirements / criteria for submitting artworks:
– Artist must be working in Africa.
– All submissions must be made through the online application form. link here
– Maximum size of original works: 1.5m2
– Only 2D artworks, no installations or 3D sculptures (video can be submitted on request)
– All works must be related to the theme: “Progressive Africa”.
– Upload max 10 digital images (jpg, png, pdf, gif) of the artworks and mention Title, Size and Media.
In applying for the Biennale, the artist is complying with the conditions and requirements set by the Biennale organisation.
For more information: email@example.com , +256 (0)712 455 555.